Katie note: Vera and I had a great time making this recipe together earlier this year when I was a guest on her show. (You can watch here: The VeryVera Show: King Bean Coffee!) The ice cream was so great—after filming, I ate a bowl myself! Vera graciously gave us the recipe. You can try this at home and let us know how it is!
King Bean Coffee Ice Cream Ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups of whole milk
3/4 cups of sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of whole bean Southern Pecan
Pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups of heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. of finely ground Southern Pecan coffee (press grinds through a fine mesh sieve)
- Steep milk with sugar, coffee beans, salt, and cream: Heat the milk, sugar, whole coffee beans, salt, and 1/2 cup of the cream in a medium saucepan until it is quite warm and steamy, but not boiling. Once the mixture is warm, cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Set remaining cream into a bowl over ice bath with sieve: Pour the remaining 1 cup of cream into a medium size metal bowl, set on ice over a larger bowl. Set a mesh strainer on top of the bowls. Set aside.
- Temper the egg yolks: Reheat the milk and coffee mixture, on medium heat, until again hot and steamy (not boiling!). In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Slowly pour the heated milk and coffee mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly so that the egg yolks are tempered by the warm milk, but not cooked by it. Scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Heat egg milk coffee mixture until it thickens: Stir the custard mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof, flat-bottomed spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula so that you can run your finger across the coating and have the coating not run. This can take about 10 minutes.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Press on the coffee beans in the strainer to extract as much of the coffee flavor as possible. Then discard the beans. Mix in the vanilla and finely ground coffee, and stir until cool.
- Chill and process in ice cream maker: Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.